Friday, April 3, 2009

I haven't won yet.... 160.2 and going in the wrong direction....

What happens when one has
Breakfast
1 Grapefruit = 55 calories
Lunch
2 Slices of Pizza = 800 calories
Snacks
3 Pretzel Rods = 120 calories
Dinner
1 16oz can of Progresso Minestrone Soup = 200 calories
10 Keebler Toasteds Crackers = 75 calories
1 Slice of American Chesse = 70 calories
1 tbsp of Blue Bonnet Margarine = 70 calories

Or let's just say

What happens when one has 1,390 calories.
AND then....
they work out for an hour = -580 calories

What happens?

They wake up this morning and weigh 160.2!

Either my scale or my mind is playing tricks on me.
How could I possible gain 1.4 pounds with a net intake of 810 calories????

A few notes.
Last night I ate dinner at 9:30pm. As a rule, I normally eat my last meal 3 hours or more before sleeping. This is what all the "experts" say one should do to properly digest food.

In my case however, I didn't get to bed till about 3am (the result of my depraved addiction to Grand Theft Auto IV). So, I actually had 5.5 hours from my last meal until bedtime.

The other thought is my recent discovery between the oddity of weight loss and sleep. It seems that the majority of my weight loss occurs while I am asleep.
Last night's findings further solidify my claim and here's why.

About 30 minutes after I had my paltry "Progresso Soup and cracker" dinner. I weighed myself. Much to my chagrin, I was 160.8. Chagrin, because I've done the research and know that I lose about 1 pound for every 8 hours of sleep. That said,
I figured that if I went to bed in a half an hour from then (11pm), I would wake up and weigh 159.8. Thus, I would have already gained weight for that day (since earlier yesterday morning I weighed 158.8).

Instead of going to bed at 11pm, I actually stayed up until 3am and before laying down, I weighed myself again. 160.6. I slept for about 4.5 hours and when I woke up at 7:30 this morning, my weight was 160.2. Not only did I lose less than .1 of a pound for each of the four hours, but, and this is the kicker here, I lost almost NO weight while I was up between the hours of 11pm and 3am.

Now all of this sounds crazy (then again I never claimed to be normal) but I think I am about to prove a direction connection between sleep and and acceleration of weight loss. In other words, 8 hours of sleep will make you lose more weight than 8 hours of activity with no food. This is unbelievable!!

Anyway, it's time to take off my "scientist" hat and lament. Despite being upset about the weight gain this morning, it did not stop me from having 2 scrambled eggs 3 slices of delicious crispy bacon, and a toasted bagel...with butter.

728 calories.

If my father is reading this, he must be salivating. The bet is that I weigh 160 or less.

If I were a betting man, right now I would say that I am in trouble. Especially because I still have a whole weekend ahead of me, and I typically do poorly during the weekends.

Dad. Stop smiling.

The next 3 days will be a true test for me.....


PS. Forgot to mention. I just signed up (free) onto www.livestrong.com.
Just like www.my-calorie-counter.com, it's another calorie tracking website. What I like about this new one is the really cool downloadable app for my iPhone. Plus it seems that they have every food out there. Best of all, there are great exercise calorie entries included, not surprising since this is the organization that is front-lined by Lance Armstrong. I recommend this site, especially if you have an i-Phone.

1 comment:

DGA said...

strongly suggest you go to bed from 11 pm to 3 am and then play with your addictive game of stealing cars. By the way, once you get all those Mickey Mouse cars of your game, the real challenge is " Grand Theft: Jay Leno's Garage ".
I have already ironed the T-Shirt so it looks good on your advertising billboard chest when you wear it while here.