Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm In!


It's funny how life can change on a dime. Even for the little things.
Today, I looking forward to an evening of rest. After the long and fun weekend, I figured I'd stay home, watch the Mets on TV, and just veg out.

It almost happened.

I was still a little panicky. Less than a week to go, and still nothing to show for getting into the show. Normally, I would be doing the Long Island Half Marathon, but this year I'm "switching gears" and trying a 42-mile bike ride. It's not about the race, because in essence it is a fun ride. But, I've never done more than 35 miles, and I was 39 when I did the 35 too.

Late last night I checked my work email. Much to my chagrin, I had received an email by someone named Bill Stone. Bill had a ticket waiting for me at face value (a shocker). I was not his first respondee, but I was next in line when the first responder flaked out.

I say "chagrin" because the email came into my inbox at about 10am, and it was now 1:30am the next day.

Unfortunately, my response was met with an unfavorable reply. Time to move on.

I contacted bike shops advising them of my need for entry. I went ahead and re-posted on Craigslist.

Someone called me and told me that they would offer me the ticket for $150. Later for them!
Then, I finally got the call from a woman who lived right across the street from the Dakotas on 72nd & Central Park West. She mentioned that something came up at the last minute and would not be able to go. It was a first come, first serve, and the price was HALF of what that capitalistic dude had offered it to me at, and plenty less than what it is garnering right now.

I went to Manhattan, and made the transaction with the doorman who had held the package for the seller, since she was already gone for the week.

Afterwards, I decided to go for a run. Just as a premonition, I had already changed into my running outfit. I entered the park and did a full 10K loop around the park.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely doing the 5 boro next year. This year I am doing the Long Island Harbor Ride in June.