Saturday, January 10, 2009

RACE: The Fred Lebow Classic

Last year when I did this race for the first time, it was also the first race of the year for me. I was over my desired weight at 165 and it was 44 outside. My result was a pace of 8:31 with a final time of 8:31.

Today, this was the first race of this year for me too. However, I weighed in even more at 168, and it was a very cold 24 degrees outside. My result? A pace of 7:57 for a total time of 39:49.

It wasn't my ALL-TIME PR of when I did the Olympic Village Road Race back in 1984 (a time of 30:49 , pace 6:10) and it wasn't a modern day PR either (Alley Pond - 36:53, pace 7:23), but I am very happy that I am off to an even better start than I did last year.

Weight seems to be a big factor in my times. In the OVRR race, I weighed 124. And in the APC, I weighed 154, some 14 pounds lighter than I do now. It will be important for me to get back to that weight class, especially with the Manhattan Half in 2 weeks.

I wore my Asics Gel Nimbus sneaks today and they felt good. The knee felt okay too. There was a little discomfort when I was driving home, but nothing to write home about.

No comments: