Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rehab's coming along.

Yesterday it was several hours on the elliptical and the stairmaster. Today it was my first run in a couple of weeks. I've been moving slowly, painfully so. I'm trying to keep my aerobic activity up, and my weight down, during this unwanted cutback on road mileage. So far, it is working.

I went jogging today with Bonnie and the rest of the Forest Park Road Runner's crew on this cold morning. I still have a cold, so extra layers were in order today.

The other day I went to see "Under The Same Moon" and tonight we saw "Run Fat Boy Run"
Reviews on both:



Under The Same Moon



This was a touching, heartwearming movie about an all too common plight for


migrant parents who do illegal work in the United States to provide for their sons and daughters left behind. Finally, a movie that puts the human side of the illegal immigrant, and the self-sacrifice that many put themselves through for the sake of their children. There were some very funny moments in the movie, but there were even more touching moments, especially towards the end, when little Carlitos comes to grip with what's actually going on. The film is not without it's flaws however, and one wonders why the mother made (or did not make), some of her decisions. Overall I would at least recommend this movie as a rental. It was worthwhile watching.


RATING: 6 out of 10 GONZOS
Run Fat Boy, Run!
I was excited about this movie for one obvious reason: Marathon. However, the race was only a small part of a movie that really was about a man who left his pregnant bride to be at the altar, only to be seething with jealousy 5 years later, when she winds up with someone a bit higher on the food chain than him. Of course, if you are like me, and LOVE stories about the underdog taking on a weatlhy, all-controlling, know-it-all banker stereotypes, then you will enjoy this film, despite it's many flaws. If you are not a runner, you'll learn what 'hitting the wall' means, but you probably won't learn much more than that. It's a bit unrealistic. Scratch that. It's highly unrealistic. However, comedies and reality are usually separated by a long leash anyway, so I won't fault it too much. The movie was fairly funny, but it did have several uneven moments, and the whole race preparation thing was very unrealistic (at least I thought so anyway). I would have given the movie a 4, but Thandie Newton is a babe.
Rating: 5 out of 10 Gonzos







No comments: