Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Yeah, They Come To Snuff The Rooster.

I read somewhere that if you can run 16 miles that there is an outside chance that a person from the opposite sex may kiss your cheek up to three times during your run. Well, I came close. Two dogs jumped at me. I think one of them was a pit bull.

I had a great tempo run tonight. I ran through Forest Park, at precisely the same time, exactly 1 week later after the "1-sided boxing" event of last week. It was raining ovah heah! (please say it loud like someone selling beer at a stadium). So nobody was around. The lights in the park didn't come on right away, and it was pretty dark. I was doing my tempo run, and feeling so good, I barely noticed (except for maybe that pit bull..).

This was my first run in the rain in a long time. It's good to run in different weather because you never know what your race conditions will be like. When I told this to my girlfriend earlier today, she said, "Good Alex. Perhaps if you get lucky, you'll be able to run during an Earthquake sometime."

Actually that would be exciting! I can picture it now. I am running up a hill, right? And suddenly, an earthquake in New York City (which happens EVERY day ovah heah) destroys the hill ahead of me, flattening it completely. Voila! No more hill! Yes, this is a great idea. Perhaps, I can learn to jump ovah da cracks too.

Victory Oval was wet, but I was motorin'! The first mile I did it in 10 minutes, yet I averaged 8:30 overall. The batteries in my foot pod went dead (Reader to Self: What the fuck is a foot pod?), but no matter, I'm so used to this trail, I know exactly where the markers are. The last four miles were all done in less than 8 minutes per mile, including the mile that was mostly on the track in which I actually did less than 7:30!

Mississippi, a gal over at the Running Ahead website who claims she has 4 evil children, had asked me what I was planning to wear. Somebody mentioned that the lack of clothing on a wet day, can actually improve performance. I basically streaked the whole time, with a fig leaf around my waist..... Wait a second! That was no fig leaf.......Poison........Ivy?

Okay fantasy time ovah. I actually wore a NYC Marathon tank (slightly obsessed over this race, aren't I) and red nike shorts.

I think I grunted the last quarter-mile home. That might have scared some of the passersby on Austin Street. But none as sweet, as when I was running through a rural part of Forest Park near the golf course. I was so happy with the quality of my sweaty soaking workout, that I let my vocal chords carry me punk ass through....First the karaoke...and then I was yelling for those other punks from last weeks. "Where are you now, cowards?! Afraid of a little rain?!" I shouted into the dark Forest Park night. Out of the corner of my eye I think I saw the woman with the pit bull running away after that . By the time I was existing the park, it was pitch black, I was sprinting hard and singing 'Rooster' by Alice In Chains all the way home.

"Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Eyes burn with stinging sweat...
Yeah they come to snuff the rooster, ah yeah
Yeah here come the rooster, yeah
You know he ain't gonna die
No, no, you know he ain't gonna die "


No comments: